You think you are on top of things, everything seems to be going smoothly and then bam a big life event happens, or you or a child gets sick, or you return from holiday or all of these things combined happen and then the clutter monster rears it’s ugly head.
I will let you in on a little secret – I cannot stand clutter, I do not mind a little ‘life in progress’ clutter. I have been to friends houses (with no kids mind you) and there is not a thing out of place, all surfaces are clear and secretly I wonder where on earth they put everything – surely they don’t live like that on a daily basis? But honestly there is nothing that makes me happier than living in a clean clutter free house.
So recently the clutter monster hit our house and I have been trying to get on top of everything. Here are six of my top tips:
1. Visualise the end game. Think about how you want your space to look and feel and keep that end goal in mind when you are working.
2. Make a list the night before of the jobs that you want to tackle the next day. There is something about writing things down that motivate you to get them done so you can then cross them off.
3. Take some time to get out of the house and away from the mess everyday, whether it be a walk, run or a quick coffee with friends.
4. Schedule time each day to work on a different area of your home, set a timer for 15-30 mins and when the timer is up stop and go and do something else.
5. Reward yourself for getting the job done, have a cup of tea or read for a little while after you have completed a big task.
6. Don’t beat yourself up for getting behind. Sometimes life happens to all of us and it takes time to get back on track don’t feel bad about asking for some extra help from your family to get up to speed.
(Photo: Inspiration de)